Sunday, June 7, 2009

A Minor Victory



Today marked the beginning of a new era (well, hopefully) in the life of my non-vegetable eating little boy, Jack Balzuweit. Most of you will think this is completely silly and possibly not worthy of the blog, but seeing as how I am a dietitian and take pride in exposing my kids to a healthy diet, I can't help but get little excited over the fact that Jack FINALLY ate a cucumber slice. More than one, actually. While he has willingly tried and repeatedly rejected one vegetable after another (including cucumbers), I have continued to put them on his plate at every meal. He has been known to feign interest in vegetable crudites in order to use them as a vessel to deliver whatever "dip" is being offered. Despite his picky eating habits, he loves hummus and guacamole. We offer this regularly at our house, and while Jack favors chips for his dipping, I finally smartened up and have only given him the vegetables lately. Not only did he chew and swallow that cucumber...he even declared it as "Mmmmmm, Yummy"! While cucumbers are certainly not a dream vegetable in the eyes of a dietitian, it's a start and I am hopeful.

2 comments:

Crystal said...

That's awesome! I REALLY need to get back on the bandwagon with Kylie. I've been catering to her CHEESE diet for a while now....... uggghhh!

Elizabeth Seymour said...

It's blog-worthy as far as I'm concerned! I tried to get a picture of Danny eating broccoli (laden with tzatziki, of course), specifically to blog about it!