Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Memorial Day 2008








Thanks to my good friend, Susana, we have a few pictures from a Memorial Day BBQ with several of our friends at the neighborhood pool. Unfortunately Jack was sick, so Eric offered to stay behind with him while I took Sophie to the pool for her first swim of the season. Sophie enjoyed swimming with Mommy for a short time, but quickly gravitated towards the more "reckless" adults who brought her down the big slide again and again...and again.

Eventually she asked me to go down the slide all by herself. After borrowing some "floaties" for her arms and asking her repeatedly if she was sure, I sent her off with Rhiannon's brother Trevor who planned to walk her up the steps and release her, while Rhiannon waited at the bottom of the slide to catch her. I felt a slight bit of panic as I let her go - mostly because I knew Eric would most likely not have agreed to this plan (or at least would have wanted to be the one to receive her at the end of the slide), but also because I realized I needed to let her experience this for herself so as not to squelch her desire to be adventuresome.



At the top of the slide, Trevor yelled down to me, "Here she comes...and she's backwards!" I couldn't help but laugh, but that of course was followed by a little more panic. Rhiannon was right there to catch Sophie, but it was inevitable that she would hit the water first. Here's the outcome...









Fortunately, she quickly recovered and did eventually go down the slide again. When I asked her the next morning what her favorite part of the day was, the slide was at the top of her list. The hot dog was a close second!

We are so lucky to have such great friends to spend these fun times with!










2 comments:

Abba-Dad said...

Wow, those are fantastic pictures of me. Thanks for putting them up :-)

Unknown said...

That pout looks familiar (just like her Mom when she was a little girl ;) )