Monday, May 12, 2008

Mother's Day






It's hard to believe that yesterday was my 4th Mother's Day!! Although I always wanted to have children of my own, I had no idea how truly gratifying it would be to experience the adventures of motherhood and the depth of love I have for Sophie and Jack. After Sophie was born, I quickly learned how complex the emotions of motherhood can be, and I'm admittedly overwhelmed at times by the huge responsibilty of nurturing such precious children who are so dependent when it comes to most everything. At the same time, I'm amazed at how much joy I get out of simply watching them interact with their environment and each other, especially now that Jack is old enough to respond to Sophie. They are truly becoming friends and it's so fun to watch. Here's a couple of pictures of them riding around the house on their toy car...


















Sophie's pre-school class held a Mother's Day Tea last Friday and she presented me with a beautiful flower that her teacher helped her plant. Sophie didn't feel like posing for too many pictures that day, but here's a shot of her with the flower she planted and Jack enjoying the big kids at school.






As each day goes by, I realize how fortunate I am to have this amazing opportunity, and I'm thankful for the "fresh start" that each new morning brings. I also have a much better understanding and appreciation for how hard my own mother and Eric's mother worked at loving, teaching and protecting us, and how deep their love goes for their own children.




We celebrated Mother's Day for the 3rd year in a row with The Dekel Family. Sophie and Kiki have been best friends since they met each other at only 5 months! And I'm thankful for Kiki's Mommy, Cynthia, who was my first friend in Atlanta and has connected our family with so many other wonderful families in the neighborhood. We truly adore The Dekels. They have always treated Sophie (and now Jack) as part of their own family. It's so nice to be surrounded by other families who are in the same stage of life, and to watch each others' kids grow up right before our eyes and share the joy with one another.






2 comments:

Diane said...

Hello long-lost friends! Thought to check your blog out and enjoyed reading what you've been up to. As different as life is in Japan, we are definitely sharing some of the same joys and challenges of parenthood. ha ha Glad to see you're doing well!

BiancaAneska said...

Hey Eric!
This is Bianca...you know, Bryan's sister. It's been so long since i have seen or heard from you! Anyway, Herb told me to check out your blog and it's great, you have a really beautiful family...the kids are sooo sweet :) I would like to keep in touch so please email me at biancaaneska@hotmail.com sometime. Alright take care and hop to hear from you soon.