Monday, June 20, 2011

Going out with a Bang


Sophie was invited to her first roller skating birthday party just before the end of the school year. I was a bit reluctant to send her, as she has never skated before, and based on our experience attempting to ice skate a few months back, I was fairly certain this could turn out badly. That, coupled with the fact that Eric and I were going out of town, and this would all go down on Grammy's watch. Nonetheless, I decided it wouldn't be fair to have Sophie miss the party, and that surely she wouldn't be the only one who was a first timer. I also didn't want to impose my own worries on her to the point of causing her to not try new things. If only I had thought to buy wrist guards beforehand!

Needless to say, my motherly instincts were right on, and although Sophie did start to get the hang of it and even strongly encouraged Grammy to leave and come back at pick up time, things did not end well, and 3 days later she was sporting a hot pink and thankfully, waterproof cast. Fortunately, it was not a bad break and Sophie didn't seem to be in much pain after the first couple of days. And did her eyes ever light up when the orthopedist confirmed her broken arm - just in time to show all her friends on the very last day of Kindergarten.

Now that we're 4 weeks in, and even onto a second (this time blue!) cast, the novelty is wearing off and Sophie is quite ready to have it removed this week.

No comments: